Saturday, January 21, 2017

RSC - January, 2017

I'm really getting into this!
I decided that since I already have Tula Pink's book "100 Modern Quilt Blocks" I would put it and my scraps to good use, and what fun I have been having! I am struggling with my accurate seams though, so the blocks are going to have to be "fixed" to fit into a quilt gracefully. It's all on my learning curve. (Wouldn't you think that I should be able to do an accurate seam after years of doing this???) Even with glasses my sight is not great. It's time to get back to the optometrist and get these things checked again I think!

So far I have ten blocks done and four more to go. I should be able to handle that. What I did, was pick out the blocks in the book that looked "purple-ish" to me and listed the pages. I labeled the blocks so I could put them together in order, somehow. I haven't looked to see how Tula explained the setting of the blocks in depth yet. I figure I have plenty of time to look into that. I have been wanting to put this book to good use since I bought it three/four years ago, and this is really fun to do it this way. Gave me a purpose!!!

I went to pick up a prescription yesterday and there was some glitch in my insurance coverage, so I had to wait a bit. Luckily, it was one of the less expensive meds that I take so I just paid cash for it, instead of waiting for the insurance cards to come in the mail. I had to wait for a half an hour for them to fill the prescription, so I shopped while waiting. Danger Zone!!! I found two quilt magazines I hadn't seen before and since they are one of my addictions, I bought them. One had this adorable quilt top in it and it gave me more ideas for blocks to make with my scraps for RSC.

Aren't these boots just the cutest?!? I squealed when I saw this. I can't wait to get started on this now.

I spent a good part of the day out Thursday. I went to my WeightWatchers meeting in the morning and had a list of stuff to do when I got into town. Post Office, prescription, windshield wiper blades, groceries, whatever came to mind. My driveway and parking lot is six inches deep in mud, so I have to park at the top of my property to be able to get the trucks in and out. Which means a hike both ways from the house. (good exercise, by the way!) It's a pain in the neck, because I can't just walk the short distance from my house out to my truck and back again. Oh well, I don't usually leave the property that often anyway. I ventured out again Friday, because I found an Ulmer Quilting frame for sale on Craigslist. That will be a good one because it folds up to a fairly small piece and I can do my quilting by hand...on some stuff, not all. Anyway, this is a practically new frame for a good price. Then I stopped at JoAnns Fabrics, because I am getting low on fabrics. Yeah, right! I'm stopped at JoAnns, because I can't pass by it, I had to stop, it calls my name...and I have a coupon, so I saved money! Right??? I ended up only spending $40, which for me in JoAnns isn't bad at all!

Today I woke up early, 6:30! Dang, that's early!!! I got up, went on the computer for a while, got dressed and went out to feed my horses and goats, geese, chickens and rabbits. The mud has dried out enough for me to use my riding lawn mower to haul the trailer with the hay to the other side of the property. Hauling that in the wheel barrow is hard! After making sure they were all fed and watered I went in and got my breakfast together. I started organizing my sewing room again. I sorted out some scraps that were hanging around after my Christmas stocking sewing frenzy. Then put a few other things away. I got to thinking about how my seams are not working right for me, so I started going through the feet for my machine to see if I could find one where I can more accurately measure the seams. I find one and tried it out and since I wasn't working with a full deck, (remember what time I woke up?) broke a needle, then dropped it into the bobbin encasement. AAARRRGGGHHH!. I took the plate off and took the race apart and started searching for it. I found it, pulled it out and then decided it was a good time to clean out that area. After I put it back together, I got out my book and read how to not break my needle again. I did a test swatch and finally got a 1/4" seam!

Okay, that's enough out of me. Thanks for reading this far! I'm off to post this and read/see what you are all up to.

5 comments:

scraphappy said...

I have the Tula pink book too! Haven't started making the quilt though, so it will be fun to watch your progress. Sounds like you've been busy. Glad you weren't too busy to find some time to sew.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those boots ARE cute, but pairing your Tula Pink book with the RSC was a stroke of genius!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your Tula 100 Blocks--great idea to use those for your RSC. And the boots block! I probably couldn't pass that up either! Plus, I can relate. Joann's and those great coupons are always calling my name, too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your purples and you are having a LOT of fun!! Love them!!

Anonymous said...

Can you say which magazine the boot pattern is in? Love the pattern.
Kumiko kumikosudosan@yahoo.com