Sunday, April 26, 2015

Adventures in Puddles

Maybe almost a pond.
I had a guy come out today to drill holes for fence posts. I know some of you are thinking, post hole digger, do it yourselves, save some money. Or maybe you aren't thinking that, but anyway...we have what they call Dungeness Potatoes here.
The river (the Dungeness River) used to run all through here. It is now about 1/2 mile west of me. In its heyday, it dropped tons, and tons of river rock all through this little valley. I now live on this rock.
And when I need to dig a hole...a substantial hole, I have to call in a guy. With equipment to dig holes, cause I'm not getting past the rock.
My daughter and I mapped out where we wanted the holes dug yesterday and spray painted the spots for him. He was chugging right along until he came down to my lower land where there is still rock, but there is also dirt. Yay! Dirt. He dug one hole, then two holes, he said it was like cutting softened butter. He got about a foot into the third hole and water came out! He came over to the house and told me he had struck water, where is it coming from? I don't know, the previous owner never said anything about water over there where we dug.  I got on the phone and called him, then called again, and again. He called right back. After three calls, wouldn't you? I told him what had happened, he came right over. Conveniently, he lives right across the street.
He went straight back to the complete opposite corner of the property and shut off a valve. That stopped the water! He had shut the valve off for the irrigation for the neighbor where the water was leaking. Then he came and told me that there wasn't supposed to be anything there, and he called the neighbor who's fence is right there. That neighbor came right over. (Good thing this is an extremely friendly place)
I let the men talk. I listened. It turns out that there is a pipe there for irrigation that no one had talked about or drawn on paper or anything. By the time they had determined where the water was from, my hole digger guy cleared out some dirt and they got down to where this pipe is and found it was just  a small plastic pipe with a rubber coupler on it. The neighbor who's pipe it is told me he would fix it even though this should fall on me, I asked for the hole to be dug...but I won't argue...
I was thinking for a while there that this could be the best place for that pond I wanted! I'm not quite prepared for the pond just yet. That will be in a few months, but now I know how I can fill it!
The spot where I almost had a pond is right up against the darker fence line to the right, behind the trees.
Isn't it beautiful here? The picture below is in the western part of my property. It will be the backyard of whoever rents my mobile home. The luckys!
Well, I'm worn out. Are you? More to come...have a wonderful...


1 comment:

selina said...

hahaha fun & games, naughty not letting anyone know about the extra pipes, for a moment i thought you might've struck an underground spring! well with any luck you might have a use for that later down the track.
good luck with the rest of the fence
thanx for sharing