Friday, March 06, 2009

Little Prince Dozey Boy



His name is really Dozer. I just like to shorten things up a bit. Ya know? Like a nickname.
I thought I lost him yesterday. I get teary eyed just thinking about it even now. Now that I know he is safe and sound and okay. I guess I am not that safe and sound or okay. I don't know what it is with me.
YD had a class to go to last night. Dozer is a whiney little boy when YD isn't around, so she didn't want to leave him by himself. (It's my version of getting to watch the grandkids) She called and told me she was going to drop him off, and I said fine, but I wouldn't be home until later. That was okay, she has a key.
I got home, expecting Dozer to be at the house with my two furbabies. I pulled up and they were all singing at the top of their lungs. Dozer's a natural leader when it comes to howling, everyone joins in. I came in the house and my two greeted me, the back door was wide open and Dozer was no where in sight. I PANIC-ed! I also had to go over the hill to pay a bill and had no time to really look for him. He has a tendency to wander about and look for YD. He adores his girl! I drove around a couple of blocks, then a couple of more blocks, and didn't see him. I had to get over the hill, and decided that I would look more when I got home.
I got over there and back as soon as I could, stopped to pick up a few things I needed at the grocery store and headed home. The whole time dreading that I would still not be able to find him.
I pull up to the house, and hear the singing again. I'm thinking my damned dogs are taunting me. They never make these kinds of noises unless Dozer is with them. I come in the house, and here's Dozer! I just completely fell apart. I kept asking him where he came from and crying and petting him and hugging him. And asking him more where he came from. He was very obliging in getting all up on me and whining with me and wagging his tail and giving kisses. I felt like a goof, breaking down like that, but I couldn't help myself. I love this dog to bits. He is so sweet and we had a heck of a time getting him back from some mean people when my daughter was gone last year.
What had happened was that YD was running behind while I was running behind. She got to the house later than I thought she would and hadn't even been here by the first time I got home. I came in, lost it, thought I lost Dozer and left to go look for him and then go over the hill. While I was out looking, she came by dropped him off and left. We had to have missed each other by mere seconds! I am still traumatized by it.
When she got back from her class I told her what I had done and I got a hug from her for it and a promise to make sure that if she ever drops him off again, she will make sure that he can't get out of the house. And I tried to promise that I wouldn't worry so damned much, cause I know that is part of my problem here. I can't help it.

2 comments:

kim-d said...

Oh Claudia, I am so with you on this whole thing...I would have been the exact same way! Not that I want you to be a mess like me, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacts like a lunatic at the thought of something happening to my animals! Dozey is such a handsome boy, I can see the sweetness through the picture--I would have been losing it right there with you! Just to make you feel better, I will admit to you that some days, when I am at work? I sit there and think about Frank and Nancy and I miss them so much (plus their pictures are all around the perimeter of my computer screen), I get all weepy and then can't wait to get home to them. Is it wrong that I miss them and love them more than I do most humans? BWAHAHAHAHA!

I am just so happy that The Doze was never really lost. The thought of him wandering around looking for his girl is so sweet and so heartbreaking all at the same time. Between this story and Mary Ellen's story yesterday of Bliss and her babies, plus my love for my cats--I am a canine/feline emotional puddle! :)

And I just want to tell you how much all of your support means to me, Claudia. Even when I am a bad blogger buddy and don't comment as much as I want, you are a constant, true-blue friend who makes me smile with every comment. You, my dear friend, are the absolute best and I appreciate you more than I could ever tell you. And I love you, too! Always.

Debbie said...

OMG you poor thing! Just reading through the post, I was anxious. I'm so glad Dozier is okay and I bet you needed that good cry. Being sick and having to run around and all...

I'm hoping you're feeling better now. ((HUGS))