Friday, August 04, 2006

Open for business

F I N A L L Y !!!!!
After about four months, the road between my family and me is OPEN! YAY! The road closed the beginning of April, and they have been working on it day and night for the last three months. The first month they hemmed and hawed about how to go about making the road safe for us. They ended up blasting a few huge boulders and knocked them down off the side of the hillside, so they wouldn't just roll down inadvertently onto a passing motorist. Then they drilled into the lower hillside to insert some big ol' metal pipes that attatch the lower hillside to the upper hillside. They graded and paved the road. I gotta hand it to these men and women who worked on the road so long. It was dangerous work, but they got it done. I, for one, am eternally grateful! Now I don't have to go 32 miles out of my way to get 5 miles from my home! (Not that I wouldn't do it...but have you seen the gas prices lately?!?)

I am taking a trip down there today; not because I have to, but because I can. Oh, and I am taking my dad's mail to him and my chainsaw, to see if he can help me fix it and my camera, so I can get pics of his pooches. (I have a killer idea for a Christmas present for him) Then I am going further down the road to see my daughter. I saw her for about five minutes on the first, but you know young adults...always in a rush to get to the next thing. She is packing up to move today, so I want to go by and watch her pack!

I'm off. Things to do, places to go.....

No comments: