Monday, January 05, 2009

New Record!!!

A few of you benefited from my wonderful comments between the hours of Midnight and 2AM earlier today. I babbled on with great confidence. I would probably be embarrassed to go back and read what I wrote.
Then this morning I have found that I have broken an old record! I got less than 3 hours of sleep! YAY! Me!
Y'all heard that MD was sick yesterday, or was it the day before? She wasn't too sick to take control of the couch, TV Remote and the relative cleanliness of my front room. While I was at work yesterday she called to ask if I could take her to the doctor when I got home, cause she was having some trouble breathing. I rolled my eyes and said a begrudging yes. You don't know how many times I have had this same conversation with her over the years. It was slow at work, so I told the boss I was leaving an hour early to take MD to the doctor.
Let me explain: When we say, "Take her to the doctor", we mean go to the county hospital and sit in a waiting room anywhere from 4.5 hours to 12 hours. I'm sure that y'all have heard the horrors of the state or county hospitals where the taxpayers support the staff and everybody and their brothers (and sometimes their entire families) show up when they have hang nails, or the sniffles or something even as tragic as an actual super contagious, fast spreading, horrific disease. Some of these people even have some real mental issues, which they are not shy about talking to you and everyone else within, say, a ten mile radius about. And drunks, whose friends have tired of and drop off at the entrance under the guise of "finding a parking space".
Yeah. That place! Hmmm, I always look forward to a few dozen hours there on my "Friday night".
We got down there at 5:15 and proceeded to watch a wonderful cross section of societies' finest stroll through. I guess Sunday evening is a quieter time for county "emergencies", there were only 30 - 40 people ahead of us. And Yay that the weather is cold, cause those waiting rooms can get about 15 degrees warmer inside than the temperature outside. MD got checked in and then went over to the window where they ask the real questions, and got her little band, so they don't lose her somewhere in the bowels of the hospital. This process only took two hours. We waited another hour and a half to two hours and they called her in. I love babies screaming and little kids running around me in an effort to entertain themselves. Yeah.
They finally called her into the actual ER. This is where I told her I'd be back in a few, cause I was ready to pass out from hunger. I went and got some food. Got back to the ER in about 45 minutes and sat and read for another hour and a half. She came out, with instructions, and a prescription, so we had to find a 24 hour pharmacy. Great fun!
We did all we had to do and got home around 11:45. So 6.5 hours all told. Not too bad for county.
In the meantime, it was so cold and while I was out, needed a warm drink and the only one readily available was coffee. Now I can drink black tea til the cows come home and I will sleep like a baby. Give me a teaspoon of coffee, it's a no go. Not sleeping, not even thinking about sleeping. I managed to finally fall asleep around 2:30 in the morning. I knew I was going to hate myself today!
MD has bronchitis. She will be off work for the next three days. I'm sure the grocery store where she works is happy about that. No one really wants somebody in the back coughing over their meat and seafood!
And of course this morning I had to be up at the crack of dawn to take YD to the bus stop.
I see a little nap in my future!


Mary Ellen said...

Holy Cow! I will never again complain of waiting an hour for my doctor again. NEVER.

Get some rest!

Debbie said...

First. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture on your header! It's gorgeous.

I'm so sorry you had that experience, but bronchitis is serious, so it's good you went. I hope you enjoyed a nap.

I'm sure you're not still tired because it's 5 days later now. Just smack me for not visiting earlier!